The Z150 Photobioreactor is used for precise phototrophic cultivation of algae and cyanobacteria. It features a unique combination of the cultivator and monitoring device. Light power and spectral composition as well as temperature and aeration gas composition can be set with high accuracy. In addition, cultivation conditions can be dynamically varied according to user- defined protocol. Light, temperature, and gas composition can oscillate with various amplitudes and frequencies. The growth of the cultures is monitored by the integrated densitometer (OD 735, OD680). Chlorophyll content of the culture can also be monitored continuously by the difference of optical densities at 680 and 735 nm. The instantaneous physiological state of the culture is measured by the Photosystem II quantum yield Fv/Fm.
For cultivation of up to 8 different algal cultures please see the Z160 Multicultivator.
Click below to see the installation of 120L photobioreactors at Washington University in St. Louis, USA
- Cultivation vessel capacity: 400 ml (Z150) standard, 1000 ml (Z150-1000), larger volumes (25L, 120L) also available
- Programmable light, temperature, gas, and medium regime. Time steps from milliseconds to hours.
- Both static and changeable temperature in the range of 18 – 50 °C (standard) or in the range of 0 – 70 °C (optional).
- Controlled flow and composition of the bubbling gas (optional).
- Magnetic stirring (optional).
- Bubble interruption during measurements – bubble interruption valve (optional).
- Bubble humidifier to keep the volume in the vessel stable (optional).
- Peristaltic pump for Chemostat mode cultivation, i.e. pre-programed addition of chemical ie. acid or base to preset pH (optional).
- Peristaltic pump for Turbidostat mode cultivation – stabilization of the suspensions via optical density control (optional).
Schematic of device with external modules:
- Standard color versions :White, Red-blue (630 nm, 450 nm), White-red (630 nm), other colors and color combinations (optional).
- Both static and fluctuating light regime – day/night cycles, pulsing (max frequency 1ms) or sinus waves.
- Actinic light up to 1200 µmol(photon)/m2/s (standard).
- Light intensity upgrade from 1,800 – 2,500 µmol(photon)/m2/s; according to LED type and color (optional).
- Wide range of wavelengths from UV-A through VIS to NIR (optional).
- Additional light source to accommodate specific needs of different organisms. For instance, Infra Red (850 nm) light source for purple sulfur photosynthetic bacteria. (optional; various wavelengths available).
- Integrated Double-Modulation Fluorometer with online measurement of chlorophyll fluorescence parameters, such as Fo, Ft, Fm, Fm´, (Fm’-Ft)/Fm’, and others (standard).
- Integrated online optical density measurement (standard).
- O2 electrode to measure concentration of dissolved gases (optional).
- CO2 electrode to determine the dissolved CO2 concentration in the Photobioreactor medium (optional).
- pH monitoring (optional).
- Magnetic Stirrer (optional).
- High-precision Gas Mixing System ZGMS-150 (optional).
- User-friendly operation.
- Robust construction, thermal stability, long-life light source.
- PC interface.
- Remote control.
Control Software (optional):
- User defined protocols
- Data collection in real time.
- Data upload even when the experiment is running.
- Data visualization in graphs.
- Further processing of data sheets in Excel accessible format.
- Remote control of the experiment via internet.
- software control of up to 7 photobioreactors
- Fluorescence Parameters: Fo, Ft, Fm, Fm´, Fv/Fm other parameters can be calculated.
- Vessel Capacity: 400 ml, 1000 ml. 25 L, 100 L
- Precision Controlled Temperature: 18 °C – 50 °C.
- Cooling and Heating System: Two 200 W Peltier elements.
- Two Displays: For system control and actual temperature.
- Light Regime: Static or dynamic (sinus, triangle etc).
- Optical Density Measurement: Real time measurement of OD by two IR LEDs (735 nm, 680 nm).
- Detector Wavelength Range: PIN photodiode with 697nm -750 nm bandpass filters.
- Controlled Flow and Composition of the Bubbling Gas: Optional.
- Pumps: Up to 8 peristaltic pumps supported (optional),
- pH Probe: Optional.
- Bios: Upgradeable firmware.
- Communication Port: Serial – RS232.
- Material: Glass, stainless steel, silicon gasket.
- Size: 50 x 25 x 35 cm (for the standard 400ml unit).
- Weight: 15.5 kg (400ml unit).
- Electrical: 90-240 V.
- Nedbal L et. al. (2008) Biotechnology and Bioengineering 100: 902-910
- Cerveny J and Nedbal L (2009) Journal of Biological Rhythms 24:295-303
- Cerveny J. et al. (2009): Eng. Life Sci., No. 3, 247-253
- Nedbal L. et al.(2010): J. Ind. Microbiol. Biotechnol., 37: 1319-1326