The Z125 GFP Closed FluorCam can serve for a number of applications using green fluorescent proteins in molecular and cellular biology. The basic system of the Z100 Closed FluorCam (CCD camera, four fixed LED panels) is supplemented by a fully motorized and software-controlled filter wheel and appropriate filter sets for the detection and imaging of green fluorescent protein (GFP), red-shifted GFP, or yellow fluorescent protein (YFP). The blue emitting and red fluorescent protein can be detected and imaged in absence of chlorophyll. The device configuration also provides user-friendly and quick transition between the GFP and chlorophyll fluorescence detection and imaging.
- GFP detection and expression studies.
- Screening of photosynthetic performance.
- stress resistance studies.
- Plant-microbe interactions research.
- Bacterial-protozoan interactions research.
- Leaves, stems, seeds, roots whole small plants, fruits
- small animals
- calluses, seedlings on petri plates
- Cyanobacteria, green algae, bacteria.
- Sample size up to 13 cm x 13 cm.
GFP Arabidopsis seedlings on petri plate:
Experiments and Measured Parameters:
- Kautsky induction.
- QA reoxidation (needs optional accessories).
- OJIP (needs optional accessories).
- Fast fluorescence induction with 1µs resolution (needs optional accessories).
- Combines imaging of GFP and chlorophyll fluorescence.
- Included high-resolution CCD camera: full resolution 1392 x 1040 (15 fps), 30 fps at resolution 640 x 480; integration times from microseconds to seconds; binning options. The camera is specifically intended for detection of weak signals demanding long integration times; the setup retains most of the functionalities for chlorophyll fluorescence kinetics measurement.
- Four light-upgraded LED panels (4 panels 470 nm OR 2 panels 447 nm + 2 panels 470 nm OR 2 panels 627 nm and 2 panels 470 nm) Additional UV, 505, 570, 605, 630, 735 nm (optional).
- 8 position filter wheel – motorized and software-controlled (included).
- Adjustable shelf system for different plant sizes (included).
- Dark room for adaptation (included).
- Supplied with a high-end computer and user-friendly software (included).
Filter sets for the most commonly used GFP proteins:
Proteins of the GFP family demonstrate a great spectral diversity and they often have different excitation and emission spectra. Therefore it is important to use the most appropriate filter sets so as to obtain maximum sensitivity for GFP viewing.
- Red-shifted variants ( EGFP)
Single excitation peak is centered at about 488 nm and the emission peak is at 507 nm.
Suggested filter set: short pass 480 for excitation and 532/28 or 530/25 for emission.
- Original GFP variants (GFP)
Single excitation peak is centered at about 395 nm and the emission peak is at 504 nm.
Suggested filter set: short pass 420nm for excitation and 532/28 or 530/25 for emission.
- Blue-emitting variants (EBFP)
Excitation peak around 384 nm and the emission peak near 448 nm.
Suggested filter set: short pass 400nm for excitation and 469/35 for emission.
Tsien (1998). Annu. Rev. Biochem. 67: 509-544.
FluorCam 7.0 Software
- Automated experimental protocols via a Windows Wizard.
- Multiple (automatically repeated) experiments.
- Automated labeling of individual plants, or samples, within the field of view.
- Kinetic analysis of data from all samples within the field of view.
- Numerous image manipulation tools.
- Imaging masks for 384-well plate, 96-well plate, Petri dish, etc.
- Barcode reader support.
- Export to Excel.
- Windows 2000, XP, Windows 7, Vista compatible.
GFP expression in corn kernels as captured by GFP FluorCam – closed:
Corn kernels captured by the GFP FluorCam – closed. GFP expressing kernels in upper rows, control kernels in bottom rows: