The Z955 N- Pen is a light-weight, battery-powered PlantPen that can be used for nondestructive in vivo measurements of N content in plants. It is ideal for effective nitrogen management in plants throughout their growing season. The N-Pen measures reflectance of light at 565 and 760 nm and calculates NDGI (normalized difference greeness index) from which total N content (%) is determined. It is rugged and compact and ideal for use in the field, plant biology lab or in teaching plant biology.
- Monitoring relative N-content of crops.
- Better nitrogen management in crops and consequent yield enhancement.
- monitoring of nitrogen use efficiency.
- management of fertilizer applications
- Agronomy research.
- Simply insert the leaf between the leaf clip and the optical tip.
- N-Pen collects and stores individual readings and calculates the average automatically.
- Readings should be taken on number of different plants of the same species.
- Readings should be taken on the 2nd or 3rd youngest leaf on each plant.
- Readings should be taken from the same location on each leaf (close to the mid part)
- Displayed is the NDGI ratio and the actual % nitrogen for wheat, barley and corn, or relative numbers for other species.
- Nitrogen content in % is calibrated for particular species (wheat, barley and corn calibrations come standard with the N-pen)
- Calibrations for other plant species available soon
- Variety or hybrid differences can affect readings
- Plant diseases, nutrient deficiencies and other kinds of plant stress can also affect readings
- FluorPen 1.0 software (optional)
- Bluetooth, USB or serial communication (optional)
- GPS mapping plug-in (optional)
- Export to Microsoft Excel (optional)
- Measured Parameters: NDGI = (R760-R565)/(R760+R565) and Nitrogen content in % calibrated for particular plant (wheat, barley and corn) or relative content for other species
- Measuring Light: Dual wavelength light source (565 nm, 760 nm)
- Detector Wavelength Range: 500 to 800 nm bandpass filters
- Memory Capacity: Up to 4 Mb
- Internal Data Logging: Up to 100,000 data points
- Display: 2 x 8 characters LCD
- Keypad: Sealed, 2-key tactile response
- Keypad Escape Time: Turns off after 3 minutes of no use
- Power Supply: 4 AAA alkaline or rechargeable batteries
- Battery Life: 48 hours typical with full operation
- Low Battery Detection: Low battery indication displayed
- Size: 120 x 57 x 30 mm (4.7 x 2.2 x 1.2″)
- Weight: 180 g (6.5 oz)
- Operating Conditions: Temperature: 0 to 55ºC (32 to 130ºF), Relative Humidity: 0 to 95 % (non-condensing)
- Storage Conditions: Temperature: -10 to 60ºC (14 to 140ºF). Relative Humidity: 0 to 95% (non-condensing)
- Warranty: 1 year parts and labor
- Klem K. (2008): Prediction of spring barley nutrition state and grain quality using spectral reflectance and chlorophyll fluorescence. Precision Agriculture – ICPA 2008.